New AREVA Announces U.S. Organization and Leadership
January 11, 2017
Washington, D.C., January 11, 2017 – As part of the continuing global transformation of AREVA into two separate entities, New AREVA today announced the formation of AREVA Nuclear Materials, LLC, (ANM) as its subsidiary in the United States. Sam Shakir has been appointed as ANM Chief Executive Officer. ANM is headquartered in Washington, D.C.
AREVA Nuclear Materials contains five business lines:
- AREVA D&D (Decommissioning & Dismantling), based in Washington, D.C., applies global D&D expertise to the U.S. market, including the planned dismantling of the Vermont Yankee reactor vessel during decommissioning.
- TN Americas (formerly AREVA TN), based in Maryland, is a global provider of storage, transportation and field services for used nuclear fuel and radioactive waste, with its NUHOMS® used nuclear fuel storage system securely operating at more than 30 U.S. sites.
- AREVA Federal Services (AFS), based in North Carolina, provides nuclear fuel cycle technologies and environmental management services to the U.S. federal government, and is a key partner in the MOX Services consortium building the MOX Fuel Fabrication Facility (MFFF) in South Carolina.
- Mining, Conversion, Enrichment (MCE) Sales, based in Virginia, is a competitive provider of long-term nuclear fuel supply contracts for U.S. utility customers.
- AREVA Med, based in Texas, is developing cancer-fighting isotopes for radioimmunotherapy, with research progressing for the next phase of FDA approval.
In 2016, the businesses now grouped in ANM generated more than $900 million in sales from U.S. activities. The global companies of New AREVA and AREVA NP are being created through the transformation of AREVA SA business lines into these two separate entities.
With more than 25 years of operational and commercial business management experience, Shakir has held several senior executive management positions within the global AREVA Group. Throughout his career, Shakir has actively developed businesses, deployed new technologies, arranged financing of large deals, and led project and engineering organizations in various energy sectors.
“The United States represents an important and strategic market,” said Shakir. “Our diverse portfolio of businesses leveraging advanced global production facilities and creative nuclear material technologies provide a strong and sustainable platform for growing our business in the U.S. market.”
More About AREVA Nuclear Materials
AREVA Nuclear Materials, LLC, is part of the global New AREVA company and includes more than 560 employees located at multiple sites across the United States. Learn more at us.areva.com/ANM and @AREVAus.
New AREVA transforms nuclear materials so that they can be used to support the development of society, first and foremost in the field of energy. The group offers products, technologies and services with high added value throughout the entire nuclear fuel cycle, with activities encompassing mining, uranium chemistry, enrichment, used fuel recycling, logistics, decommissioning, and engineering services. New AREVA and its 20,000 employees bring to bear their expertise and their mastery of cutting-edge technology, as well as their permanent search for innovation and their unwavering dedication to safety, to serve their customers worldwide.
AREVA Nuclear Materials, 1155 F Street, N.W., Suite 800, Washington, D.C. 20004 – 202.969.3240